Learn methods of correction in Voter ID Card! Have you been living in a different place when you applied for the Voter ID card for the first time and then you shifted to some other place? In such case, you need to correct your Voter ID card. We are here for your convenience and to guide you through the correction process.
Even if your address was not written correctly in your ID card by mistake or have any other error, then you have to make a correction because the address is a very important part of voter ID. In the case of any mistakes, you will not be able to receive your ID card at your place.
Before you go for submitting your request to change the address on your ID card, you have to consider a few points which are given below.
When you can apply for address correction in Voter ID card
- You can apply for a change in your Voter ID card details only if you have applied for your ID card.
- When you already have received the EPIC number.
- If you see any faults in an address on your received ID card.
- If you have entered the wrong or previous address before getting the ID card.
In all such cases, you will be eligible to request a change in your address. If you do not meet any of these, then you can’t apply for correction.
Pre-requisites for sending change request
- Keep the documents that are a proof of your new address e.g. your electricity bill or any other bills which can prove your changed address.
- Keep your Voter ID card’s EPIC number safe with you.
- Remove your name from the old constituency by asking the election commission officers.
Procedure to correct your address in Voter ID card
Whatever the reason may be, if you need to update your address in voter ID card then you need to follow the steps given below.
- Download Form-8A
For changing the address on your ID card, download the form number 8A from the official government website i.e. http://eci.nic.in/
The government of India has also started National Voters Services Portal which has all the details related to a correction in voter ID card. Visit this website and follow all the instructions given on this portal.
The official NVSP portal is www.nvsp.in
- Then after downloading the form, fill all the details in it and submit to the Electoral Registration Office that is nearest to your area. You have a choice of submitting the form online as well as offline.
- Once you have submitted the form, the BLO (Booth Level Officers) will visit your new address to verify all details.
- Once the verification is done, your name will be added to the new constituency and will be given a new Voter ID card.
This new Voter ID card will be the same as before by just having a change in your address.
The Voter ID card is your identity in India, it must have all the correct information so make sure you update your address by the process mentioned above.