Read our linking Aadhaar Card to banks guide!
Many new welfare schemes and subsidies have been launched by the government of India recently, which you can avail only if you have an Aadhaar card.
Most of these subsidies are deposited directly into your bank account, which is a welcome step in itself.
But for you, all this makes linking Aadhaar card to banks very important. Here you’ll find all the information you will ever need about linking Aadhaar card to banks.
What are the benefits of linking Aadhaar card to banks?
Before we go into the details of the process of linking your Aadhaar card to your bank account, first you need to understand why this needs to be done. What are the various benefits of linking Aadhaar card to banks?
Here are some of the benefits, provided by the Government of India, of linking your Aadhaar card to your bank account:
- Direct Benefits Transfer (DBTL): The subsidy provided by the government on LPG cylinders is directly deposited into your bank account which is linked with your Aadhaar card.
- Subsidy for Commodity Products: Kerosene oil, pulses, sugar, rice and many other products are subsidized by the government. The subsidy for these products is also transferred directly to your bank account which is linked with your Aadhaar
- Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme: Wages for the employees under this scheme gets deposited directly to the bank accounts which are linked with the Aadhaar cards of the employees.
- Tribal Welfare Schemes: Any payments to be done based on this scheme are also made directly to the bank account which has been linked to the Aadhaar card of the beneficiaries.
- Scholarships: The various scholarships which are provided to the students by the government are credited directly into the bank accounts which have been linked with the Aadhaar cards of the students.
Process of Linking Aadhaar card to banks
The entire process of linking your Aadhaar card to your bank account is pretty simple and straightforward. You can use any of the following four methods:
- By visiting your nearest bank branch.
- Through the ATM machine.
- Linking online
- Linking via SMS
Here we’ll analyze each of these methods one by one.
Method 1 – Linking Aadhaar card to banks by visiting your nearest bank branch
To link your Aadhaar card to your bank account, you’ll need to download the Aadhaar card linking application form from your bank’s website or you can simply obtain the form from the bank branch itself.
You will also need the original copy and one photocopy of your Aadhaar card. Visit your bank branch with these documents and the completely filled application form. Submit all these and the bank will link your Aadhaar card to your bank account.
Method 2 – Linking using the ATM machine
You can also link your Aadhaar card to your bank account using an ATM machine. Simply go to the ATM machine, insert your ATM card and enter your pin.
In the menu that gets displayed, look for an option which may read as ‘Aadhaar Card Seeding’ or ‘Link Aadhaar Card Number’. Select this option and then follow the instructions which will be provided to you by the machine.
You will just have to enter your Aadhaar number and then click on ‘Submit’. This will link your Aadhaar card to your bank account.
Method 3 – Linking by SMS
To link your Aadhaar card to your bank account via SMS, you just need to send a simple SMS to your bank. Every bank has a different number to which you need to send the SMS and a different format as well, in which this SMS needs to be sent. You will have to check about this number and the format from your bank’s website.
For example, for State Bank of India, the format is like ‘UID (space) Aadhaar number (space) Account number’.
But the format will vary for the different banks and you need to get this info from your bank’s website.
Method 4 – Linking Aadhaar card to banks Online
If your bank provides online banking, create an internet banking account for yourself. Usually, in the home page of the banking websites, you will find some option like ‘Update Aadhaar Card Details’ or ‘Card Seeding’.
Click on this option and then follow the instructions which will be provided to you. You will just have to enter your Aadhaar number and then click on ‘Submit’. This will link your Aadhaar card to your bank account.
Online linking Aadhaar Card to Banks process in general?
- Login into your internet banking account.
- Search for some option like – ‘Update Aadhaar Card Details’ or ‘Aadhaar Card Details Seeding’.
- Click on this option, and then you’ll have to enter your Aadhaar number. Ensure you enter the number accurately.
- Hit the Submit button once you’ve entered everything.
- The Aadhaar number will get linked to your Bank Account. On successful linking, you’ll receive a notification or an SMS on your registered mobile number.
Which Banks offer Aadhaar card linking facility?
The Aadhaar card linking facility is available in most of the major banks across India. Some of these are:
- SBI (State Bank of India)
• Andhra Bank
• Axis Bank
• Federal Bank
• HDFC Bank
• ICICI Bank
• IDBI Bank
• Bank of Maharashtra
How to track the Linking status of your Aadhaar card?
After linking your Aadhaar card to your bank account, how will you verify that the linking has really been done? Here’s a URL – https://resident.uidai.net.in/check-aadhaar-linking-status
This URL will help you in tracking your Aadhaar card linking status.
You need to open this URL and then enter your Aadhaar number. After this, click on ‘Check’.
If the linking has been successfully done, you will receive a success message and the name of the Bank to which you Aadhaar card has been linked. Otherwise you will receive a message saying that the linking has not yet been done.
Steps to Link Your Aadhar Card with Your ICICI Bank Account
One of the most reputed private sector banks of India, ICICI Bank, has branches in all major cities in the country.
- Log in to your ICICI online account.
- Click on the ‘Customer Service’ option and go to ‘Customer Service Requests’, then ‘Bank Account Service Requests.’ This will allow you to navigate to ‘Account Details.’
- Next, in ‘Account Details’, fill in your 12 digit Aadhaar number and such other details required as per instructions and you are ready to go.
- Visit your local branch or download online from this link and complete the Linking form. Below is an image of the form:
- Attach the photocopied card, or alternatively the printed e-aadhaar card to the form.
- Present your completed form at any ICICI branch.
- ICICI Bank officials will verify your details. On successful completion, your accounts will be linked.
Steps to Link Your Aadhaar Card with Your HDFC Bank Account
- Log in to your HDFC online banking account and select the ‘Link Aadhaar Card’ Option.
- Once selected, this will redirect you to an online form.
- Fill in your details carefully and press ‘Submit’.
- If the verification process is successfully done, your bank will inform you about the link.
Visit your nearest HDFC branch after filling in a simple form. You can download the form from here:
Or you can also collect a hard copy of the form from the bank branch.
The offline process is the same for every bank. You need to submit the filled-in form and a photocopy of your Aadhar card. Do not forget to carry the original card and your bank passbook for verification. The bank officials will take care of everything else and link your account with your AC upon successful verification.